Refugee Assistance

Financial Assistance and Loan Programs for Refugees to Canada

The Canadian government has several programs to help refugees establish themselves in their new home. Resettlement assistance is provided to Convention Refugees Abroad and members of the Source Country Class, and in some instances, members of the Country of Asylum Class who have been identified as Joint Assistance Sponsorship (JAS) cases, admitted to Canada as government-assisted refugees. These funds are given to help pay for meeting the refugee at the airport or port of entry, temporary accommodation, help in finding permanent accommodation, basic household items and general orientation to life in Canada. This money is also used to provide the refugee with income support for up to one year or until that person becomes self-sufficient, whichever comes first.

The Immigration Loans Program (ILP) is funded from the federal government Consolidated Revenue Fund. Loans are approved according to your needs and ability to repay. They are given to government-assisted or privately sponsored members of the Convention Refugees Abroad, Country of Asylum and Source Country classes. The loans may be approved to pay for the costs of medical examinations abroad, travel documents and transportation to Canada. Assistance loans are also available to newcomers to cover expenses such as housing rental, telephone deposits and work tools.