Skilled Workers

The Federal Skilled Worker Class
A priority occupation is one that the Government of Canada has identified after extensive consultations as being in high demand. You must have at least one year of continuous work experience in this occupation to be eligible to apply as a federal skilled worker.Immigration has always helped to make Canada’s economy strong and prosperous. To continue this tradition, Canada encourages skilled worker applications for Permanent Residence from people with skills, education and work experience that will contribute to the Canadian economy.

Federal Skilled Worker applications submitted on or after February 27, 2008 will be placed into processing if they meet the criteria in one or more of the three categories described below. If you meet the criteria in one of the categories below, your application will be placed into processing.

1. you have at least one year of continuous full time or equivalent paid work experience in the last ten years in one or more of the occupational categories identified in the Ministerial Instructions. The list of occupations can be found on the government of Canada website at:

2. you have an offer of arranged employment in Canada. The employment offer should be:

* in writing,

* indeterminate in duration, and

* meet the arranged employment factor described in this guide.

3. you are a temporary foreign worker or an international student residing legally in Canada for at least 12 months immediately before submitting your application.

If you are subject to an enforceable removal order you are not considered to be legally residing in Canada and would therefore not meet the eligibility criteria for this category.

The National Occupation Classification (NOC) is the official classification system of occupations in the Canadian economy. It describes duties, skills, aptitudes, and work settings for occupations in the Canadian labour market.

How to apply to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker